Question
Posted by: JM | 2010/02/01

Calculation of kids portion for maintenance court

Please advise on calculation of kids portion of all household expenses for court. If the kids are young, is the equation 50% for the kids (x2) and 50% mother - or are the expenses divived by the 3 of us?

Expert ImageFamily law expert

Take the actual costs of raising the child and split it between the two parents according to what they both earn. If the child costs, say R2000 a month to raise and the father earns R6000 a month and the mother R4000, the will father pay 60% and mother 40% of the monthly expenses. The father will therefore pay R1200 a month and the mother R800 a month.

Bertus Preller
www.divorceattorney.co.za

2
Posted by: michelle | 2010/03/02

In my case I am not working and currently studying part time and looking for a job,we are not married.I am 20 and BF 24 and he is working full time.I am living with my parents and BF have agreed to only pay for creche( R 650pm) fees as my son is attending creche and I am job hunting.

Reply to michelle
Posted by: Family law expert | 2010/02/02

Bertus Preller
www.divorceattorney.co.za

Reply to Family law expert