Question
Posted by: < _>  | 2008/09/27

calculation

Hi there :)

I realised you have answered a few questions on negative calories. Having a discussion that other day, someone said that when you eat a fruit or veggie, you take the number of grams, multiply it by 4, then take that number and subtract it from the total calorie content of the fruit/veggie. According to that person, that would be the amount of calories you are taking in.
So for an apple: 15 X 4 = 60cals
80cals minus 60 cals = 20 cals..........................You only consuming 20 calories???? (the rest is apparenlt insoluble fibre not digested)
Is this true?

Dear Reader
I must say that I have not yet come across this calculation for negative energy foods, so I cannot very if for you. Apples contain soluble fibre and according to international tables, dietary fibre does make a contribution to energy intake of 8 kJ per gram.
Hope this helps