Question
Posted by: Margie | 2009-01-19

Calcuim &  Vit D

Im 55 and has been diagnosed with N.A.S.H and Hiatus Hernia and sometimes get severe renal colic and had two events of renal stones that was lasered.
I had a hysterectomy at age 38yrs and has been on HRT since then as the ovary that was left in " died in sympathy" .I have been expieriencing severe Hot Flushes since i had to go off my HRT in Nov 2007 because of my liver.This past year has been terrible with the " flushes"  I have tried natural products for menopausal symptoms before my diagnosis of N.A.S.H and this has not controlled my symptoms and my doctor is not happy for me to use even natural products.How long will this keep on? What can i use please!
Am i allowed to use VIT D and Calcuim supplements because of my liver
Thanks so much

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Margie
Ask your doctor about the use of Dixarit for the treatment of hot-flushes. I don't think it is contra-indicated in liver disease, but just make sure.
Regarding Vit D and Calcium- it will not have a negative influence on the liver, but in the light of your kidney stones you need to be careful with the amounts of vit D and your doctor needs to have a 24 Hour urine test done to determine what the calcium levels in the urine is before prescribing Vit D as this may enhance calcium excretion and put more stain on the kidneys. Calcium intake should be about 1000 mg per day, either in food, supplements or both.

2
Posted by: Margie | 2009-02-17

Thankyou for your reply.I have been told about Dixarit but when i went to the pharmacy and the pharmacist read the leaflet she told me that this product is contra - indicated if there is renal disease/stones.This then put me back to sqaure one.Do you have any other suggestions.
Margie

Reply to Margie
Posted by: Margie | 2009-01-31

Thankyou for your reply.I have been told about Dixarit but when i went to the pharmacy and the pharmacist read the leaflet she told me that this product is contra - indicated if there is renal disease/stones.This then put me back to sqaure one
Margie

Reply to Margie