Question
Posted by: Martie | 2011/01/26

Calcium supplement or dairy?

Dear Diet Doc
I try to consume about 800 ml of dairy per day (fat free) to get some calcium in my diet. Now I think I may be getting sinusitis from all the milk. I seem to remember from somewhere that the calcium ingested in pill form is not effective, whereas only the calcium from dairy really is available for the body. If this is true, and I cannot drink milk due to excessive phlegm formation, how am I going to get enough calcium if not from pills? There is no way that I will be able to eat enough broccoli or sardines to fill my daily calcium needs.
Just one last question, if I take iron and zinc in pill form, do I need to take it seperately from the calcium? And if so how many hours seperate? And should I seperate the iron and the zinc pills as well? My iron is very low, was 4 recently and I was put on a haemofer drip..
Thank you for you time in answering my questions.
Kind regards
Martie

Dear Martie
Because milk and dairy products are so important as sources of the most bioavailable calcium in the human diet, I would go to the trouble of having allergy tests done to determine if it is really the dairy that is causing your sinusitis. Ask your dr to arrange such tests. It would be a pity to cut out dairy if you are actually allergic to grass or house mites of animal hairs, etc. If you do test positive to dairy then you will have to obtain your calcium from a supplement. Recent research indicates that MenaCal.7 is the safest calcium supplement to use with a good bioavailability. Calcium supplements should usually be taken at night because absorption is better at night. So take the iron and zinc in the morning and the calcium at night. If your iron levels are so low make sure to eat some red meat, organ meat, fish, egg yolk and iron-fortified bread or cereals, which are all good sources of iron. If you eat iron-fortified cereals have a serving of orange juice or eat half a grapefruit with breakfast because the vit C in these fruits helps the body to absorb iron.

1

Dear Martie