Question
Posted by: carol | 2011/11/05

calcium proprionate

As far as I know calcium propriate is a preservative and is as such not " bio available"  as calcium as it would be in a supplement form, correct? Do you know of any bread brands in SA that are calcium proprionate free?

Dear Carol
Calcium propionate as added to bread as a preservative to prevent spoilage by moulds and bacteria. It is used in such small quantities that it would in any case not be regarded as a good source of calcium. I am not aware of any commercial bread brands that are free of calcium propionate. However, most non-commercial breads and rolls sold in speciality shops and intended for fast consumption probably do not contain this preservative. I would suggest that you ask at your local speciality shops and food markets that sell bread, if the bakers of these products add calcium propionate or not.

1

Dear Carol