Question
Posted by: Greg | 2009/10/14

Calcium or other...

I would like to know if there is a supplement that i could take to help make my bones stronger. I find that when I do any high impact sports, that my shins take a pounding (i lift heavy weights, box, play tennis &  golf as well as breakdance) as well as my forearms. I' ve taken many calcium supplements with no joy. Im a heavy guy (105kg at 6ft, pretty lean). Could you please advise me as to what I should take, Im already consuming plenty calcium in my diet.

Regards,
Chris

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Greg
Calcium supplements will not help prevent shin-splints or prevent pain- especially with the amount of high-impact things you do with your body! If you take approximately 1000mg of calcium per day (whether in diet alone or diet and supplements), it would be sufficient to keep your bones strong. Exercise is also good to keep your bones strong, but you may be doing a bit much high impact- that is why the shins complain and it certainly is not due to a lack of calcium.

1
Posted by: Healthy Bones | 2009/10/16

Dear Greg

Reply to Healthy Bones