Posted by: Al | 2009-03-31

Calcium for kids

i was wondering whether my 2 yr old is getting enuf calcium we do not give him cow' s milk as she gets a lot of mucuc, there is also cow milk allergy history in the fam, myself and his older sibling, they both very allergic esp to environmental and food stuffs. I stl need to confirm his allergy with a test but in the meantime am i doing the right thing:

He has organic rice milk from Woolworths with his porridge
I have just bought a rice milk cocoa drink which has 160mg calcium per 220ml which i intend giving him once or twice a day in winter
He loves cheese which i give everyday, not too much though
Does not like yoghurt
Eats brocolli now and then.

Is there anything else you can think of that i could give both him and the sister who follows the same as above as well as yoghurt? Do you think he is meeting his calcium needs, he is rather underweight for a 2 yr old. He had NAN HA up to 1 yrs and then had Nido for 1yr old until the scare with the Nido so he has been off any toddler follow on formulas since Nov last year? To drink he has black rooibos, fruit juice diluted 50/50, little water. sometimes the WW rice milk in the rooibos, and he has has MILO?

Dear Al
A toddler should get approximately 800mg of calcium per day. You can buy some calcium chew tablets to supplement his diet if needed - discuss with your pharmacist.