Question
Posted by: Peter | 2008-12-10

Calcium Bad, Vit D good

Interesting piece about the Calcium supplements. BMJ offers the free ful ver of the article.

On the other hand: Dobnig et al. have found some very good aspects to Vit D (or rather bad effects of deficient levels):
Independent association of low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin d and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin d levels with all-cause and cardiovascular mortality.
Dobnig H, Pilz S, Scharnagl H, Renner W, Seelhorst U, Wellnitz B, Kinkeldei J, Boehm BO, Weihrauch G, Maerz W
Arch Intern Med 2008 Jun 23 168(12):1340-9

CONCLUSIONS: Low 25-hydroxyvitamin D and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D levels are independently associated with all-cause and cardiovascular mortality. A causal relationship has yet to be proved by intervention trials using vitamin D.

and

Vitamin D supplementation and total mortality: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.
Autier P, Gandini S
Arch Intern Med 2007 Sep 10 167(16):1730-7

Pubmed has all the abstracts.

Dear Peter
Thank you for your interesting input. I shall certainly read these references. I have written a number of articles about the new findings on vitamin D this year which should all be available on the Health24 Website. Vitamin D has been identified as a much more important nutrient than was previously thought, but we do have the capacity to produce our own vit D during exposure of the skin to sunlight, so that generally speaking South Africans should not be as prone to vit D deficiencies as people living in countries where sun exposure is low and people who do not ever or very rarely expose their skin to the sun (e.g. women who for religious reasons cannot expose their skin to sunlight, excessively swaddles babies, the aged who do not venture outside, bedridden patients, etc). The conclusion of the articles I read on the subject of calcium/vit D/vit K2, did in fact show that calcium is not bad, but that our intakes of other foods rich in vit K2 may be lacking.
I am always fascinated by these new findings which illustrate very clearly that we do not know everything about the myriad physiological processes in our bodies.

2
Posted by: Peter | 2008-12-11

Vit K2 I admit I first heard about today, on this site, thanks :).

On further reading, it seems much work has been
done on Vit K2 in Japan. Vit K2 is found in a famous snack - natto - which are fermented soy beans. Researchers found that women who loved Natto had fewer osteoporotic vertebral fractures. I actually know
a Japanese person who hates natto, but otherwise it is a snack which is despised by visitors but loved by the locals. Anyway looks like Vit K2 is a good idea too, thanks.

Reply to Peter
Posted by: Peter | 2008-12-11

Thanks for your reply :)

You' re quite right. Vit D is pretty understimated. Of course I also think that Vit D deficiency is overlooked - even in SA. We live not too far from the equator but cloudy conditions
eg in Cape Town, excessive office work and covering up
and dark skin (blacks and non-whites) all reduce Vit D production. Obesity gives absorbtion issues and causes sequestration in fat tissue.

The other issue is osteoporosis but in men and younger men. It is looking as if that is underdiagnosed in younger men.

Thanks!
Peter.

Reply to Peter