Question
Posted by: Gina | 2012/03/13

Calcium

Hi Doc,

I am a 50 year old woman. I have been told that I may be lacking calcium in my diet (which in turn is possibly what is causing me to have cramps in my toes)
How much calcium should I have daily?
I am also concerned about eating too much dairy as I am a very chesty person and have been advised to minimise my dairy intake.

Please advise how much calcium I need and what I can eat.

Dear Gina
Adult women are advised to ingest 1200 mg of calcium per day throughout their lives to prevent brittle bones, osteoporosis and symptoms such as the cramps you experience. The richest sources of readily available calcium in the diet are milk and dairy products providing at least 1 mg of calcium per ml of milk or yoghurt and more than 1 mg per gram of cheese. However, if you are sensitive to milk then you may need to take a calcium-vit K- Vit D-supplement such as MenaCal.7. Also experiment if yoghurt and cheeses cause your respiraotry problems, to see if you can use these sources of calcium.

1

Dear Gina