Question
Posted by: mimi | 2011/11/07

calcium

hi diet doc if i eat approx 2 serving of fruit an veg each, lean protein, sometimes sum legumes, beans, fish 2x k, mostly pilchards/salmon/sardines/tuna, bron rice, potatoes sometimes instead of rice and drink only ater, calcium suppl of 500mg no dairy am i getting enuf calcium? I am 39 yr old female

Dear Mimi
If you eat the foods you list and take a calcium supplement of 500 mg per day, then you should obtain about half your daily recommended intake of 1200 mg/day. Fruit, vegetables, rice and potatoes are not sources of calcium. The small amount of calcium found in legumes is usually in the bound form and not easy to absorb. If you eat canned fish and also consume the bones of canned pilchards then this can act as an additional source of calcium. I would suggest that you try using a soy milk which contains added calcium. To be equivalent to cow's milk, the soy milk should contain about 100 mg of calcium per 100 ml.

1

Dear Mimi