Question
Posted by: Christine | 2010/08/24

Calcium

My doctor told me to take supplements that does not contain calcium and Vit D. I have increased calcium and PTH levels.
What supplements can I take?

Dear Christine
I presume you have hyperparathyroidism? Most so-called multivitamin and mineral supplements like Centrum or Supradyn, etc, contain calcium and vitamin D. So you need to avoid them, also all calcium supplements and vitamin D supplements. You will have to ask your chemist for vitamins like vitamin B complex which do not contain any calcium or vitamin D. However, if you are otherwise ok and not eating an unbalanced diet, you do not need to take vitamin and mineral supplements. In fact, recent research has indicated that taking vitamin and mineral supplements regularly when you are healthy and do not have any specific deficiencies can actually be harmful. So rather avoid them and eat a balanced diet to obtain the nutrients you require.

1

Dear Christine