Question
Posted by: Hate dairy | 2010/01/14

Calcium

Dear Diet Doc, I wonder if you can help me.

I am a 26 yr old female, normal weight and i work out regularly enough. I Have a history of osteoporosis in my maternal family, though my gran also had a problem with kidney stones. I hate dairy (except cheese) so don' t eat a lot. I' m currently taking one 500mg Ca tablet a day. My first question is, is that about right? I' ve heard that too much for someone my age might cause kdney stones, is there any truth to that?

Secondly, I do often cook with milk (and sometimes cream) does cooking the milk impact the calcium intake from it?

And finally, I think my tablets are straight calcium, do I need to be supplementing with Magnesium and Vitamin D too?

Thanks very much! Your patience with all my questions is much appreciated! :)

Dear Hate Dairy
From what you say, I deduce that you don't like drinking milk or eating yoghurt, but that you do eat cheese and still often cook with milk. Consequently you are probably ingesting sufficient calcium from your diet and the calcium tablet you are taking. This type of intake (approx. 1000 mg per day of calcium) should not cause kidney stones. Taking very high doses of vit C supplements may cause kidney stones. Recent research also indicates that taking calcium supplements without additional vit D and vit K, may exacerbate atherosclerosis. It has, therefore, been suggested that calcium supplements should contain vit D and vit K, such as MenaCal.7. Exposing your skin to the sun for 20-30 min a day and eating plenty of green leafy vegetables will also provide vits D and K. Cooking does not affect the calcium content of milk. Cream is not a source of calcium.
I hope this helps

1

Dear Hate Dairy
I hope this helps