Question
Posted by: Mary | 2008/06/09

Calcium

Dear Dietdoc, I have recently started showing some intolerance towards milk, manifesting in sinus-related symptoms. The moment I stop drinking milk, the symptoms stop. One small tub of jogurt at night does not seem to make a difference, though.

My question is this: which other foodstuffs (eg. cheese, nuts, etc) can I consume to get the daily dosis of calcium, and how much of each should I eat daily? I'm 51. If I take in enough calcium through the above foodstuffs, would it be necessary to take any supplements? I'm healthy, and I'm not taking any supplements (vitamins, minerals) at the moment.

Dear Mary
Adult women require 1000 mg of calcium a day to prevent osteoporosis. The tub of yoghurt you have will supply approx. 1 mg of calcium per ml (say 100 mg if it contains 100 ml of yoghurt). The best source of calcium are milk, cheese and yoghurt. If you don't develop symptoms when you eat cottage cheese then you can also obtain calcium from this source. Soya milk is fortified with calcium so you can try using that as a substitute for milk, but I would still recommend that you take a calcium supplement at least every second day (Calcium Sandoz or Caltrate) to ensure that you are obtaining sufficient calcium when you cut out milk and other dairy products.