Question
Posted by: Yvonne | 2012-07-31

Calcified toenail

I have always had one toenail that is calcified. Why does this happen?

Expert ImagePodiatrist

Discolouration of a nail usually suggest possible damage to the nail through shoewear or trauma. Damage of a nail could lead to thickening of the nail, nail to lift off the nail bed or a deformed nail and nailbed. Damaged nails are also more prone to get infected with a fungus, a condition known as onychomycosis. It would be best if you consult with a podiatrist that can assess, diagnose and treat your toe. There are various treatments available to treat the nails. You can contact the Podiatry association of South Africa for your nearest podiatrist. www.podiatrist.co.za or 0861 100 249

2
Posted by: Kristian | 2012-09-15

I have very high arches and am hilhgy susceptible to both plantar fasciitis and shin splints. My orthopod is making me orthotics from foot molds  they will have a graphite base. Will wearing these in typical stability shoes (i.e. Saucony Progrid Trigon Guides) cause the arch area of the orthotic to raise up too high? Should I try neutral cushioned shoes instead?Thanks for your help,Barry

Reply to Kristian
Posted by: Sue Tang | 2012-09-11

I have a bunion on one foot which is becoming more and more painful. I consulted an orthopaedic surgeon six months ago and he told me the only option is surgery. Could you please advise how successful these operations are and how long I can expect to be unable to work? I also have fasciitis under both arches which the doctor advised will become increasingly worse. Could you also perhaps advise on the success rate of such an operation. Many thanks

Reply to Sue Tang