Posted by: Ayla | 2009-02-24

Hi doc

Hopefully you can help me as I am going through a rather difficult time. I had my mammogram done in October last year, they haven' t detect any lumps but the breast specialist told me that she wants to see me in 6 months time again, on the mammogram report they had a lot said about calcifications and benign cells and according to her that is what she wants to have a look at. My mother had breast cancer. Is there need for me to be so paranoid???
Thanks doc

Dear Ayla
Calcifications are small bits of calcium can appear within the soft tissue of your breast, appearing as white dots on your mammogram. Calcifications are not breast cancer although it can be an indication of a precancerous condition. Your doctor is just being careful by following up on this. "Benign cells" means there are no signs of cancer.