Question
Posted by: Justin | 2011-04-01

Caffeine

Good day

I battle with kicking caffeine. The reason why I want to stop drinking coffee, is that I get rather serious anxiety, paranoia, and slight psychosis from it. I love the kick it gives me which makes it hard, and I''ve become dependant on it. I''ve tried cold turkey, lasted a day or 2 max, then started again. It is actually becoming a problem, as I battle to be comfortable in meetings at work, or focus on one thing at a time, it even affects my interaction with people. Where do I begin? Or how can I approach this? Any advice will be appreciated.

Knd regards
Justin

Indeed, excessive caffeine is not particularly good for us. And there can be some withdrawal effects, such as headaches. And be aware, for instance, that caffeine is contained in many over the counter meds, especially pain-killers ( which can cause more harm when taken to excess ). And of course colas and some other fizzy drinks
Cold turkey is usually not a good method for stopping something one has become dependent on ; it's preferable to work out what your usual daily "dose" is, and to cut down gradually. And if any signle step leaves you feeling bad, go back to the previous level for a day or so, and then go down again but in smaller steps.
Part of the issue with coffee is habit more than chemical, in that we often drink it in the mornin when we want to kick start the day, and even though quite other factors may cause you to get going well, we tend to credit the coffee, and when we don't have it, we tend to expect to feel droopy. And expectations count for a lot.
Remember, too, that tea contains theobromines which can also be stimulant, though also useful anti-oxidants. I think variants like rooibos or green tea may be less problematic substiutes.

1