Question
Posted by: Peno | 2011-05-04

Caesarean birth

I am pregnant and due mid July. This is my second child/pregnancy. The first was born 15 years ago (30 Jan 1996). I am very scared of going into labour becuase as i have heard that if you stay long without falling pregnant, then your birth will be complicated. I am also very scared of the pains during labour.

One of the gynaecologits I went to confirmed that before I even asked, he said I should just go for caeser as normal birth will be complicated. But my doctor (gynaecologist as well) said there is no reason for me to panick. He said he wont do caeser, I will give birth normally and ha will do caeser when there are complications. He also said the caeser is too expensive and that the medical aid will refuse to pay.

My questions are these.

1. Wont the labour be complicated considering my story?
2. What are some of the reasons why one will give birth through caeser? What do doctors consider?
3. Is it not possible to just ask your doctor to do ceaser of I want to?

There is no reason why your labour should be complicated because you have not had a child for a long time. If you are scared of pain, you could ask for an epidural. Reasons for caesarean section include the baby being too big, lying in the wrong position, fetal distress, etc. Many doctors will not do caesareans if there is no medical indication, as the risks to you are increased.

2
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-05-08

Posted by: Purple | 2011-05-05

There is no rreason that a long gap between children should cause complications to occur during the labour or birth.

Most doctors are quite happy to do elective c-sections, so if you want this, then just find a doctor who will. Most women who want a natural birth have to try very hard to find a doctor willing to let them have one, so its very strange to find yourself in the opposite situation.

The medical aid plan you are on might not cover elective c-sections, but only cover if it is a genuine medical requirement, that is something only your medical aid can tell you. Read up in their latest info they supplied you for the year ahead and it will say in there, or contact their call centre.

Reply to Purple