Posted by: nas | 2009-06-18

CA- 125 blood test

I got this email yesterday- and find myself self diagnosis...
What do you know about CA- 125 blood test?
Is it accurate?

i have most of teh symptoms described on the email- which says are signs of ovarian cancer...
i have the pelvic or abdomenial pain, gas, nausea for the past 2 weeks, indigestion, frequent urination, weight gain. pelvic and abdominal swelling, ongoing and unusual fatigue, unexplained changes in bowel movements  bloating...
but have always put this down to IBS... taken probiotics, even tissue salts to help with the low iron levels...
now i am begining to wonder if maybe i was misdiagnosed or if the email is just scaring me unnecessarily...

Dear nas
All these symptoms could be due to various abdominal problems. The Ca 125 test is not used for diagnosis of ovarian cancer but used for monitoring it. CA 125 can also be elevated due to other gynecological problems like ovarian cysts. The best way to screen for ovarian cancer is by doing a pelvic sonar and getting a proper gynecological examination.