Question
Posted by: MICKEY | 2011/02/17

C-SECTION OR NATURAL

HI DOC
PLZ help me, my first &  last delivery was 1994. It was difficult and i enduced. My problem now is that, im 22 wks pregnant after 17 yrs but im afraid that it will be more difficult than before. People says i must do a C section, but truely speaking i dont like but if you suggest it i ll do. please advise me.

You don't say what you mean by difficult delivery. You should discuss with your gynaecologist about delivery for this pregnancy, depending on what happens in this pregnacy.

5

Posted by: cassidy | 2011/02/18

I had a c-section on Monday, it has it advantages and dissadvantages, its nice to plan and time the birth, the epidural is really not that bad, but afterwards the helplessness is really getting to me, I have a burning feeling inside, i feel depressed, i would not recommend it unless truly neccesary, talking from experience as I had two natural vaginal births as well and the last one was also extremely stressfull, reason why i chose the c section route, but today I wish i tried natural again

Reply to cassidy
Posted by: Purple | 2011/02/18

At private hospitals, if you are still in labour and its nearing 5 pm, you will suddenly be told about some emergency complication requiring a c-section. The c-section rate at our private hospitals is the highest in the world, so even if you are planning a vaginal birth, be very, very prepared for a c-section as it is far more likely to happen than a natural birth.

You can avoid this happening by carefully choosing a gynae who is pro natural birth (remember that they all say that they are, but if they start talking c-section and you don''t have a low lying placenta, or baby lying breech in some way or other reason that prevents natural birth, they are just mentally preparing you for what theyhave planned).
Also choose the hospital very carefully, as you don''t want to be at one where the c-section rate is 90% (and some are), go on a tour and ask questions about whether they make women lie on their back in labour (increases pain, makes dilation slower and ups chances of c-section).

Arm yourself with knowledge and then find yourself a doctor and hospital willing to help you.

If you do decide on an elective c-section, you won''t battle to find a doctor, most seem very happy with that arrangement.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: sarah | 2011/02/18

It all depends on your age and and health. 17 years is quite a long time and it is most likely that both your body and general health have changed to some degree or another. every birth is different, and these days many docs try avoid enducing unless there is a valid medical reason. If you feel that a natural birth is what you want then talk it through with your doctor and partner. it is NOT true that emergency c-sections are standard procedure in private hospitals, although c-section rates are high. at the end of the day - or rather pregnancy - it comes down to what you want and are comfortable with within sound medical guidelines, and most of all what is best for your baby.

good-luck!

Reply to sarah
Posted by: purple | 2011/02/17

If you are at a private hospital you will be having an " emergency"  c-section regardless.

Reply to purple