Question
Posted by: Expecting | 2009/10/06

Q.

C-Section and Hospital Costs

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I am 7 months pregnant and have been seeing a Gyn at Parklane Clinic since I fell pregnant. Now that I am almost due I have been looking for places to deliver but the costs are shocking. Parklane is about 22000. This is just the hospital stay only. What about the Gynae costs, Anesthetist, Paediatrician, Physio etc? Their bills alone would come to probably R12000, giving a figure of over R30 000.

This figure is too much for me. I dont have medical aid. I also do not like to go to a public hospital.

Is there some other private clinic that you guys know where it is cheaper from your experience. I really need some advice PLEASE.

17
user comments

C.

Posted by: Tunu Tanzania | 2013/10/22

Hello mothers/ladies, I am TanZanian, am 6 months pregnant and diabetic. I want to give birth in SA and a relative advised me Steve Biko Academic. My doc here in Tz said just to be on the safe side, I should go 4 c-section. Kindly if any1 is aware of how much it will cost me delivering at Steve Biko Academic, c-section please email me the details. And if there are any extra charges bcoz am not South African. Also if there are any other suggestions of a different hospital, why that hospital and how much it will cost us. It's my 1st pregnancy so am super cautious on everything. Kindly email me on tunuymakamula@gmail.com. Thank you!!! Be Blessed

Reply to Tunu Tanzania
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/08/09

Good day friends. I would like to get some input! I'm 8 months pregnant and I'm wondering isn't there private hospitals or private gynaecologists that allows people to pay then off on a monthly basis. I'm getting nightmares when I think of going to a government hospital. The stories that people tell about government hospitals are scary. Any advice or input will be highly appreciated.

Posted by: LoloB | 2009/10/06

Why do you want a caesar? An academic hospital(even Steve Biko) wont a caesar just because you are HIV + but will do their best to make sure baby is -. A caesar needs serious indications

Reply to LoloB
Posted by: Momo | 2009/10/06

I also delivered at PTA Academic hospital in 2005 and I agree with you Me, the staff is great there and you get best treatment like a private hospital but what I know for you to deliver there you must be attending you antenental classes and check ups at Sammy Mark square clinic or Skinner Clinic and you must be staying around pretoria (e.g sunnyside).

Reply to Momo
Posted by: Me | 2009/10/06

I delivered at Steve Biko Academic (formerly PTA Academic) and they' re an amazing lot, the staff was caring, considerate, and professional.
You could try an academic hospital near you, in my case they allowed me to deliver there because I sort of had some complications  I' m not sure if they just admit just about anyone where you are.

Reply to Me
Posted by: Noxie | 2009/10/06

if i were u, i will definately go to a public hospital. mine statement came last year when i had mine at Life satnding at more than 30 000, i did not pay a cent of that, my medical paid every cent, but i will never even dream of going there if i dont have medical aid. do ur self a favour, go a to a public hopsital, they are not all that bad, i was actually impressed with the one my sister went to.

Reply to Noxie
Posted by: Noxie | 2009/10/06

Reply to Noxie
Posted by: Gontse | 2009/10/06

Public hospitals aren' t that bad sometimes...

Reply to Gontse
Posted by: Expecting | 2009/10/06

Thanks Cuti for the suggestion. I checked the prices for medi-clinic, they all cost R20 000 just for the hospital. Cannot find anything cheaper than that. This is stressful!!

Reply to Expecting
Posted by: Prrr | 2009/10/06

yah i heard they are good hey,

Reply to Prrr
Posted by: My Opinion | 2009/10/06

I used a midwife in Soweto and paid around R4500.00 (natural birth) in 2007. She was clued up about house and my v/l was not even undetectable but i gave birth to a -ve baby.

Reply to My Opinion
Posted by: I think | 2009/10/06

Well same here, im a netcare woman, just love the treatment there..
If i were u since u dont have a medical aid i would opt for public hospital, i know lots of people who used it and they are ok, nothing wrong with them or their babies..

Better than sitting with a R20 000 bill...All the best..

Reply to I think
Posted by: Nonjabulo | 2009/10/06

I gave birth 3 years ago and have forgotten but I just had to make a co-payment of a thousand rand only the rest med aid paid and it came around twenty thousand if I am not mistaken. Was initially due to deleiver at Parklane but in between everything ended up at Garden City

I am a Netcare person, and never go to any hospital other than Netcare don' t know why though

Reply to Nonjabulo
Posted by: Cuti | 2009/10/06

Medforum in PTA is cheaper, its about 11 000-14 000 or so if not less. Call them 012 317 6700 If it' s not too far.

Medi-clinic it' s cheaper than Netcare. Google medi-clinic and check which is the nearest

Reply to Cuti
Posted by: Lil dee | 2009/10/06

Please ensure that you have the right facts. A goverment hospital is not that bad with c section births. Yes the treatment will be differnent but I can asure you there is nothing to be scared of with public hosital. Otherwise you will have to face the trauma of paying for that bill whether you like it or not.

Reply to Lil dee
Posted by: Me | 2009/10/06

Prr, how does a midwife assist with a Caesarian birth? Know your facts before you answer

Reply to Me
Posted by: Prrr | 2009/10/06

get a Midwife were do u stay there is one i know around JHB, she chargers around R6000.00

Reply to Prrr

Want to comment?