Question
Posted by: NewMom | 2011-04-19

C-section

I know there are 2 ways of having a c-section. You can have an epidural OR general anesthesia. What I''m curious about is the use of a catheter. If I have to have a c-section, and I opt for a general anesthetic, do they still use a catheter? If so, how exactly is it placed inside (where do they put it in) and how long does it remain in for? My dad had one after an operation and he said the worst was when they had to remove it. I''m SO squeemish, so can anyone help with info and / or advice? Thank you!
P.S. For personal reasons, I choose NOT to have an epidural so please do not suggest that option.

You still neeed a catheter and it stays in for 24 hours.It is passed through the urethra, the opening where the urine comes out. It is much less of an issue for women than for men because the urethra is very short.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-04-21