Question
Posted by: eve | 2009/11/12

C-section

Hi Doc, i had a c-section about 2 weeks ago and i have some concerns that i am hoping you can help with. I am currently breastfeeding and i have noticed that my one breast is tender to the touch and feels quite bruised in the one section of the breast, it has also formed a red half moon patch around the nipple in that part, i have been doing the hot compressors aswell as the cabbage leaves and putting baby on that breast first so as to relieve the pain (even though its painful). is it something to be concerned about? Secondly my feet had swollen quite badly about two days after the operation and lasted for about a week, but now i have noticed that i have a fine red rash starting from my feet up until my calves its not itchy (and it looks like measles rash) and when i stretch my feet it feels like my skin is going to tear, what is this from? thirdly my cut has healed but i have been getting a strange smell from that area and i am not sure if its because i havent been drying that area properly (as it is numb and uncomfortable to touch) or is it because the extra skin thats hanging over the cut is causing sweat and then the smell. There is no pus but the area is quite red is there any cream or powder that i can apply to the area to get the smell away or is there anything i can wear to help support the excess skin that is hanging as i cannot start any excercise yet? and my cut sometimes feels tight and sore is it because its still healing? and will this feeling go away. Please could you help as i can only see my gynae in two weeks time.
Thank-You

Keep an eye on the redness of the breast. It could develop an abscess though it does not sound like it just yet. You are doing all the right things to prevent this from happening.
Swelling of the legs is fairly common and the rash may be due to this resolving. See your GP though if it persists.
Sweat in the overhang is probably the reason for the smell. The redness is a bit worrying though, as this should not be the case. You can wear a tight panty or a cotton wool band for support. The tight feeling is due to healing and should go away in time.

1