Posted by: R | 2009-09-28

Hi. I had my first baby 2 yrs ago by c-sec. I had my heart set on going natural, but the doc said baby was breeched, and therefore it was necessary to have the c-sec. The date for the op was a week earlier than natural del would have been. On the morning of the op, the scan still showed baby to be breeched, and throughout the pregnancy he did not kick at all. I often felt his hands moving tho, and he was generally very active. I also felt his head lodged against my rib cage which was often sore. But my question is - was there no chance of him turning at all, could nothing have been done to help him turn? And what could have caused this? Also, much is said about not being able to have natural delivery after a caesar, but how true is this, esp if the next one is many years later? My ' baby'  is now a healthy, happy toddler. Many thanks.

The chances of the baby turning after 36 weeks are very small. It is possible to manually turn the baby, but this does carry a small risk of bleeding nd fetal distress. In terms of vaginal birth after caesarean, this is possible depending on the circumstances of the next pregnancy.