Posted by: Patsy Rogge | 2009-10-22

Buzzing in ear

I went away to a bush camp this weeknd. Didn' t swim or anything, but ever since monday morning, I get a strange noise in my ear if people speak at a certain tome, for e g my eight year old son or ladies. It makes a beep with every word they say. I went to see a sister at a pharmacy yesterday and she said my ear drum seemed a bit swollen and there may be some fluid in it. They gave me Advilcs and it hasn' t made any difference. Should I worry or not?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Patsy
Buzzing in the ear could be from a wide range of possible causes, and considering your weekend, the most obvious would be an insect in the external ear canal. This was of course excluded by the pharmacy sister with her evaluation, as any foreign body would have been clearly visible. Other causes would then relate to the status of the middle ear and tympanic membrane. A swollen eardrum could be the cause, on the basis that the sound needs to travel via a longer route (even the slightest swelling will cause this). If this was the case, you would require topical treatment (ie. an eardrop). This may be prescribed by your doctor after an examination.
If treated correctly, it should resolve, and your hearing should settle.