Posted by: mase | 2009-12-03

buzzing ear

i have continous buzzing in my left ear for 3 months now. i went to the clinic and the sister said i dont have any infections or axcessive wax. i also did a hearing test and my hearing is normal. what can be the cause of this? its driving me crazy.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Mase

You are complaining of a condition called tinnitus. That is the sensation of sound without an external stimilus. You have started with the initial examination, but I would advise an ENT examination and consult to try and establish a cause. In the meantime, one should avoid loud sounds, as well as complete silence. Overuse of stimulants, like coffee or alcohol, may make the symptoms worse. It may help to always have background music on to "block out" the tinnitus. There are a few possible treatments on offer, such as tinnitus retraining therapy or the use of a tinnitut masker, etc, but your individual needs will dictate management. There may be some drugs available that could be of value, but the results have been limited. Some new form of treatment has also been introduced, but you will need to discuss this with your doctor to establish suitability in your case.