Question
Posted by: Pretoria Res | 2013-01-09

Buying a stand

How long do you have to build after buying a stand in an estate?

2
Posted by: Amasi | 2013-01-10

Tanya''s answer is correct.
In layman''s terms, when an estate is developed (by developer), there are certain rules that apply. Some of them I think are crazy and aimed to make a house look like Stepford in Stepford Wives (drive into any estate you will see houses that look exactly the same).

These rules includes issues like building should commence within 5 years after the estate is approved (forgot the term), once you start building you should finish within 18 months of starting.

If you are buying 2yrs after that " approval"  you have 3 yrs to start building. If you dont build within that time, there will be penalty in the levies as " your land is getting value because of our houses" .

So, get the rules from your owners'' association and find out what are the rules in that estate.

Oh, whilst at it. I remember reading somewhere that municipal rates are very high if you didn''t build.

716aou

Reply to Amasi
Posted by: Tanya | 2013-01-09

Find out from the developer

Reply to Tanya