Question
Posted by: amy | 2010-11-10

BUTTERNUT

hi my partner and i are on a health kick mainly to lose wait for the wedding..for lunch we take baked veg..consistING of butternet,sweet potatoe. with this we take tuna and cream cheese with cracker bread or provita. we also take wholewheat pasta made with spinach, mushroom and onion daily. i have read that butternut is very fattening. is this true? and are we on the right track in eating all this

Dear Amy
Butternut on its own without any added fat or sugar, is a very-low-energy food (162 kJ per 100g). So steamed or boiled or even grilled butternut with the minimum of added fat, will certainly not cause weight gain. The cream cheese is another story. Check on the container how much fat it contains. According to the SA Food Tables cream cheese can contain 34.9 g of fat and 1460 kJ per 100g. Rather use fat-free cottage cheese (1 g of fat and 303 kJ per 100g) if you are trying to lose weight. The rest of the foods you mention are all low-fat, low-energy foods so you should lose weight. I don't know how long you intend staying on this diet, but you will need to also have at least 2 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt a day to ensure that you obtain sufficient calcium to prevent a deficiency.
Enjoy the wedding

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-11-10

Dear Amy
Enjoy the wedding