Posted by: bibi | 2009-10-09

I am really trying to incl more fruit and veg in an attempt to change my eating habits for good and loose the extra 10 kg, however i really hate veg, and i realised the only way i can stomach them is to make a cheese sauce and pour this over them. I realised that the recipe i use which is:
1 spoon of lite margarine
some maizena and fat free milk and then i add some cheddar cheese mostly the weigh less one

I realised that the above esp the butter and cheese will hamper my weight loss if i had it every 2nd day, am i right? so pls suggest alternative healthier options to my recipe? i.e. to replace the marg? to replace the cheese? or am i fussing about nothing? surely if everything else in my diet if perfect and i exercise 5x wk i should still loose despite the cheese sauce?

Any other ideas how to jazz up veg besides just adding fresh herbs which i do?

Thanks so much

Dear Bibi
You can of course eat most of the vegies raw in delicious salads now that summer is here again. Raw vegetables combined with fruit (e.g. pineapple and carrot salad or apple and celery) can ensure that you ingest your 5-A-Day without effort. If you do boil vegies then as you say you can add fresh herbs, lemon juice, or fat-free yoghurt (e.g. baked potatoes with a dollop of fat free yoghurt with a pinch of salt, freshly ground pepper and mixed herbs or chopped chives are delicious and not fattening). You can use your cheese sauce because you are using lite margarine and fat-free milk, but go easy on the cheese as it contains a lot of fat. Fruit can be substituted for vegies if you get tired of eating them every day.
Sticking to the rest of your diet and doing exercise 5x a week will certainly result in weightloss.
Keep up the good work