Posted by: Carmen | 2009-03-26

Butt exercises

my main problem is my butt. I' m trying to do squats and lunges, but they actually hurts the front of my thighs so much I' m in pain for days and I don' t want to do them again. Am I doing them incorrectly that I' m hurting them? Isn' t there something else I can do?

I also wanted to ask- I have toast/cereal in the mornings, a few provitas at tea time, some more toast/a sandwich at lunch time, then nothing more until about 7pm (then its normal ' suppery'  food). Seeing as I' m not taking in many calories (I think because I don' t use much oil, eat off salad plates and I eat at least 2 veggies at supper time) and I drink a lot of liquid (500mls green tea, 500mls fruit juice, 50 mls water and a few cups of tea) will I lose weight by brisk walking for 30 minutes a day? Is it better to do it all at once or in 3 sets?

Hi Carmen

To deal with the first one, combating weight gain in a specific area only is a very common and difficult problem to solve, even for those who exercise regularly. It’s particularly troublesome as we get older, because we lose muscle mass and that makes it more and more difficult to combat the body’s frustrating tendency to store fat, which is really the problem here. Our genes determine where that fat is deposited, which is why some people battle with the stomach, others with arms or thighs.

Regardless of the location, the key is a combination of proper exercise and careful diet. Proper exercise means avoiding the myth that you can spot reduce. That is, there is a perception that you can target specific areas for fat loss by doing very specific exercise. Unfortunately, a million lunges a day is not the sole solution. It certainly has a beneficial effect, as I’ll explain, but by itself is not the solution. So rather than becoming pre-occupied on one area, your aim should be to increase metabolic rate – that’s how you burn fat. You do through regular cardiovascular exercise, which includes cycling, aerobics, taebo, spinning, walking or jogging. You’re already doing this with your jogging, but you might consider how often you run (four or five times a week is ideal), and very importantly, the intensity (running speed). A small increase in intensity, even once a week, can have a big effect.

You should then combine this with some weight training. Weight training, which includes lunges, is helpful because it increases muscle mass (which has the long-term effect of raising metabolic rate) and because it literally helps create more muscle. More muscle means a more toned appearance. Just doing lunges is a start, but you can raise the impact by doing a variety of exercises that target different abdominal muscles. I’d suggest speaking to a trainer at the gym to discover these.

Finally, remember that diet is the great “enabler”. I'm not the person to answer specific questions about diet - that's something I'd suggest you see your dietician about, and get this out the way. I would caution against playing this kind of "numbers game" because it can become draining. If exercise is perfect, but diet poor, then you undermine your progress. So cover that base, perhaps by seeing a dietician, and get cover all three bases.

Posted by: Boyscout | 2009-03-27

Hi Carmen. If you' re new to squats and lunges your muscles will hurt like crazy in the begining, just push through gets better.

To effectively lose weight you need to fire up your metabolism, for this you need to be eating propper meals more often.

Brisk walking will help, if while you walking your heart rate is high (70-80% of your maximum) Its best to do the cardio once using high intensity intervals.

Reply to Boyscout