Question
Posted by: Naked Nun | 2008/08/14

...but i was just doing my job gov' ner..

these past 2 weeks I' ve 6 nights at work (not consequetively!) over and above working full time during the day. Is it entirely unhealthy to work too much (i do it to escape, and I' ve always had this burning need to be a ' happy and productive member of society' ...) well, the productivity is in place, so the happiness should follow soon? heheh OH yes and i tend to get much more done during the night, and not just because there are no distractions (well, it certainly helps!).

It' s working for me, but everybody is now on my back because of it  from my sister and mom, to the security personnel of the shopping centre even the bloody cleaning staff!!! (i' m not entirely sure why they' ve got bees in their (definitely) proverbial bonnets.... ONLY my boss is happy...grinning from ear to ear especially as she doesn' t pay me one cent extra if I work overtime. But although that would help, I' m not doing it for the money. (luckily i' m leaving this job very very soon for greener pastures...)

How do I convince people that I' m not abnormal?!!!

Actually your sentence raises a more complex question. It all depends, is usually the most accurate answer. Its bad if you are forced to work the over-time and feel awful about it ; if its a welcome and healthy escape from things you can't currently change, so that escape is a useful temporary option, it may be wholesome.
I have always found it easier to work out of hours when there are no interruptions.
Now, how do you convince people you're normal despite working unpaid overtime " Grouse and grumble about it ! They'll find that more satisfying and convincing

2
Posted by: naked nun (again) | 2008/08/14

...that should have been..." these past 2 wks I' ve SPENT 6 nights at work"  sorry!

Reply to naked nun (again)
Posted by: Zola | 2008/08/14

I think they mean no harm. They are just concerned that you might burn yourself out. Just explain to them that you will listen to your body - it will tell you when it needs a rest and you will do just that.

Reply to Zola