Question
Posted by: morena | 2008/06/21

busy life

Dear DD, I'm 26 and i live a hectic life, i'm busy all the time and only rest on sundays whils i study part-time. I'm doing fine and eat well balanced meals with lots of fibre and sleep well. The thing is I need to maintain this for at least four more years and need advice on this. A friend recommended vitamin supplements like vitamin B, how safe are they? I also need to increase energy but tend to want to eat a lot when I go to the gym and i've suspended it for now, anyway I cant make the time. How can I live this life without fear of overkill?

Dear Morena
One thing in your favour is that you are still young and therefore, should have greater staying power and also tend to recover more rapidly than an older person. You need to decide if you can really sustain this pressure for 4 years - this is a long time and it is difficult to say what the long-term consequences of the stress this lifestyle will be. The fact that you are eating balanced meals and sleeping well when you do sleep is good. I would recommend that following: a) Don't give up all your exercise because exercise is one of the most valuable aids to good health -it relaxes you, makes you feel more positive because you produce endorphins that give you a natural 'lift' when you exercise and it will also make you less prone to gaining weight. So if you don't have time to go to a gym, then buy a skipping rope and skip for 30 min a day every day. It will work wonders for your general well-being. b) Don't start taking endless vitamin and mineral supplements as these when taken in excess can cause problems. Rather take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement like Centrum or Supradyn Forte 3 times a week. The vitamins work better when taken in a combination and using them 3 times a week will not expose you to excessive intake. c) Learn some sort of relaxing technique such as meditation so that you can use any short period at any time of the day to completely relax - this is particularly restorative.
Good luck with this hectic 4 years.