Posted by: Ricky | 2012-02-15

Business........Have I been sidelined??

To whom it may concern

I''m a 24 year old male whose just started working. I work for a small company operated by another young guy, 27 years of age. He owns the company which makes over R500 GP a month. I must admit I bend my back working for the guy, I''ve always shared the idea- his success is my success hence me working hard so we can ultimately grow and become successfull business partners.

Recently we thought it was a good idea to start up a distribution side of the company as we have exclusivity to some of the products we sell. We often discussed what an exciting opportunity this may be but never about me having some form of ownership in the new business. I was asked about names and so on. Thats about it

Yesterday the new business was started up. My boss has gone into partnership with a wealthy 30 year old friend of his. This guy is sharp and demands some respect. The friend will continue to work at his own firm and not have any day to day involvement in the distribution company. I have been given the job of heading up the Distribution company myself. This is where I ask for help?? Should I feel cheated in that I wasnt asked to be a partner? Technically I''m good enough to head up the business but not good enough to be a partner? I''ve always made it in the open I have capital if needed. Would someone else in this situation feel cheated? Or am I being a brat and should rather make the most of it and see what the future holds. It just feels like I''ve been on the verge of something great but now i''m just all the dirty work. In my mind I would have least expected a 40 40 20 % share. Something to that extent. Please someone tell me if I''m being unrealistic or not?

Expert ImageExecutive coach

Hi Ricky,

Thank you for your question.

Unless you started as a partner you will probably be seen as an employee & at age 24 you will be expected to work hard.
Your employer was probably looking for someone that he can look up to and learn from, a mentor. So, it could be that you were not overlooked, but were not considered, for those reasons. - It therefore has nothing to do with you and does not require you to dwell on it. -There is a big difference between managing and leading, so take the experience of heading up distribution as a challenge to learn from and grow into. If you want to openly propose a profit-share you can do so at your own risk.

Kind Regards