Question
Posted by: Anony | 2012/05/28

Bursts of happiness and my dark secret

I''ve had depression for almost 6 years now and was diagnosed with bipolar for for 2 years now. When diagnosed with bipolar my meds changed to Venlor 150mg, Epitec 200mg, and beginning this year added Camcolit (Lithium) 400mg.
Now this this is not major, just interesting and want to know if this is correct.
I don''t drink coffee at all, and sometimes coke zero. I find if I do drink normal coke or especially energy drinks like red bull with loads of caffeine I get these bouts of extra happines, I suddenly wil feel very lovingly, even to people that irritate me usually. Also when drinking red bull my whole body will shiver and I will feel as if I''m on top of the world and nothing can happen to me. Also in times like these I will engage in acts which is dangerous for me. In other words when I get caffeine into my body I experience short episodes of " mania"  like before my new meds controlled it.
Now it does''nt really bother me, infact I do quite enjoy it, except sometimes afterwards I feel ashamed of things I done while in this hype.
So my question is, does the caffeine have effect on my pill''s working or is it just my body reacting to caffeine?
Then another question and I am quite ashamed of this. I am currently sleeping with 3 different men. But somehow I just don''t care if something happens to me, if I just live to 30 then it''s okay.
The fact that something physical like me getting hurt even excites me more which afterwards when I think about it scares me. I almost get a " high"  from these sexual acts with these men because it''s so wrong. I''ve read about bipolar people doing risky sexual behaviour, is this it? I just can''t stop myself, it somehow makes me feel powerfull. Until afterwards when I think about what I have done and feel very bad. I can''t tell my psychiatrist about this because I feel so ashamed of this. And don''t want him to think bad of me.
Please don''t judge me...

Caffeine has numerous effects, some of them convenient or desirable ; its not antidepressant as such, but in giving a boost in alertness and energy, may feel like one is less depressed, and may also usefully reduce the drowsy / sedative side effects some other meds may have.
If you truly have bipolar disorder, with, accordingly, a risk of getting too hyper and "high" a high caffeine intake may not be a good idea. And such "energy" drinks often contain other potential simulants and high sugar content, whoch make them nutritionally undesirable.
When you say you also indulge in risky behaviours ( unspecified ) when taking such drinks, surely its sheer common sense to avoid them ? Cut out the caffeine.
Sleeping with 3 men is of course a really bad idea, with numerous risks for you and others. It sounds as though there is much more than simple bipolar disorder at play here, with this dangrous atitude towards risk-taking, and this MUST be thoroughly discussed with your shrink ( surely you are seeing a shrink ? Such a complex situation must NEVBER be managed solely by a GP ).
Stop telling yourself that "I cant stop myself" - of course you can. The truth is that you haven't so far chosen to stop yourself. And there's nothing remotely "powerful" in being foolish and exposing oneself to needless risks - its genuinely powerful to control those urges and live wholesomely and healthily.
And dont use the excuse that " I can''t tell my psychiatrist about this because I feel so ashamed of this" -he will eventually notice what's going wrong, and will think badly of you for NOT telling him. He is trained to be non-judgemental and to prefer knowing what is actually happening, so that you and he can work together on solving the problems, rather than wasting his time and yours dealing with a false picture of reality. What's the point of seeing a surgeon and hiding the fact that you have a severe pain in your belly ?

2
Posted by: Anony | 2012/05/28

Thank you for the fast reply Cybershrink. I will realy take this to heart and try to sort this out.

Reply to Anony