Posted by: Sue | 2009-08-12

Burst eardrum

Hi Doc,

My daughter developed ear pain after we had flown from JHB to DBN two and a half weeks ago, She also had a cold at the time. The pharmacist gave me Aurone and Rinex, which I gave her. The ear pain got worse then subsided very quickly, with a mucus like discharge tinged with blood. I took her to the doctor, who said there was so much muck in the ear that she couldnt see if the ear drum had burst, but that there was infection present, so prescribed Orelox Junior (my daughter is 9) for 5 days.
It is now 4 days since the antibiotics finished, and although not sore at all, there is still discharge coming from the ear (yellow liquid and sometimes a spot of blood mixed in). My daughter says she can hear fine, but I need to know if she should rather go back to the doctor? (I' ve put it off because of the swine flu outbreak and the number of sick people in the waiting rooms).

many thanks

Hallo Sue
I agree with you, she probably perforated the eardrum. Is the yellow liquid that drains out clear or pussy? if it looks like pus she probably needs a follow up visit with another course of antibiotics ( maybe a swab sent to the lab too to determine if it is a resistant bacteria) Most perforated eardrums heal by themselves and only persistant or big perforations need physical repair. It will however be good to let your doctor have another look to see if she needs referral to an ENT specialist.