Question
Posted by: Dee | 2009-10-26

Burst Blook vessel in the eye

Good morning. I took my mom into hospital yesterday. She had bad pain behind her right eye and blurred vision.
The Drs told her it was a burst blood vessel. ( actually two ) They injected into the eye and did laser treatment yesterday and are going to do it again today. Could you maybe explain to me a bit about this, what it is caused from , is it age related, and how serious this is - for her future eyesight? What do they do to rectify the problem? My mom is 71 yrs old.
Much appreciated! Dee

Hallo Dee
Older people sometimes get bleeding of the artery at the back of the eye, this causes lifting of the retina and can cause blindness. The laser they do fixes the retina to the back of the eye again and stops the bleeding. They often inject cortisone into the eye to prevent inflammation and swelling.
Does your mom have diabetes?
See also http://www.formulamedical.com/Topics/Head&Neck/eye%20hemorrhages.htm

3
Posted by: Dee | 2009-10-28

Hi Dr Bets

Thank you so much for your reply regarding my mothers burst blood vessels in the right eye. She is currently still in hospital as they are waiting for the swelling to reduce - then going to continue further. She is not diabetic and does not smoke. She has ulcerative colitus and suffers from kidney problems due to this. Is on loads of medication.
The surgeon has recommended that they do a procedure to her good eye as well as a preventative measure. Would you recommend this? Thanks once again for your help dee

Reply to Dee
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009-10-26

Hallo Dee
Does your mom have diabetes?

Reply to cyberdoc
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009-10-26

Hallo Dee
Does your mom have diabetes?

Reply to cyberdoc