Posted by: Maria | 2008-11-18

Hey CS

I saw my psychologist on Friday as I was concerned that I' m having a depressive episode. I' m permanently exhausted, having trouble sleeping, difficulty concentrating and organising my thoughts and feeling kind of disconnected from reality at times. In his opinion I' m suffering from burnout and the thing I need to do most urgently is take a decent break. I didn' t know burnout was an actual psychological term but I googled it and it' s really scary how closely the symptoms described match what I' m feeling. Exams are finished now and my dad who was ill for most of the year is getting better, but work is high pressure. And so yesterday I had a talk with my boss and I just fell apart, cried my way through this interview. This morning I woke up in tears again and called the psychologist who said he will book me off for the week and see me on Thursday.

So now I' m sitting here at home wondering if I' m just being a big wimp or if this is really serious. Earlier this year I made my daughter go to school and apologise for something she did wrong the previous day, even though she really didn' t want to go. I told her one must face up to your problems. So am I now not just running away from my problems by not going to work? Not to mention heaping extra work on my colleagues? Yet I feel so fragile. I don' t know what to think.

Regards to Smoky

Burnout is a very real and well recognized condition, especially amongst those of us who have been aflame at times, and don't want to make an ash of ourselves. Don't think of yourself as a big wimp, maybe a temporary wimp at worst. By taking rest when you needed it, that IS facing up to your problems.

Posted by: Maria | 2008-11-18

Thanks Tom!

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Tom | 2008-11-18

About 4 years I suffered total burnout and initially I was diagonised as having Major depression. I was on treatment for 4 years and could never recover, yet having to go on with my life. Recently I was diganosed after further testing as still suffering from major sugar and hormonal imbalances (typical burnout symptomes) and GP started treating me for that. After 3 weeks I am already a different person and on the road to recovery. With burn-out all your body balances goes out severely and your body is normally not able to recover by itself. Have your glyconutrients and hormones checked and treated and rebalanced. Your energy levels will recover soon. (Also try Ambritose - a herbal/homeopathic supplement)

Reply to Tom