Posted by: Sam | 2009-09-29

Burning skin

Dear Doctor
My husband and I work in the tropics and spend a lot of time in the sun (working), something we unfortunately can not prevent. Even though we try to be careful about applying sunblock regularly (especially my husband who has a fair skin), we had a couple of sunspots removed from my husbands arms in April when we were on holliday in South Africa. My husband has lately however been complaining about his skin burning across his shoulders and neck ( he does not go into the sun without a t-shirt and hat or if he has to snorkle or get wet he wears a white rashvest that covers this area as well). Last summer I noticed tiny red spots on the skin areas he was complaining about, but they were not visible while we were in SA. Are these sunspots and what can we do to prevent it and what will help with the burning sensation? The red spots are not visible at the moment, but he was snorkeling yesterday and since then he has had the burning sensation again. There are no dermatologists here that we can see and it will be another 7/8 months before we get to SA.
Thank you!

Unfortunately, the only way avoiding the symptoms is to avoid the cause, which is sun exposure.