Posted by: andre brown | 2011-08-12

Burning sensation

Hi, Doc

Can you please advice me on what to do, In February this year I was told by my GP that I had torn my intercostal muscles on the left hand side of my body. I was given pain killers and adviced to stay away from exercising for four weeks, which I did. Now in August the same year I am experiencing a burning sensation (almost like heart burn) in the same area. It is also painful to sleep on my left hand side and I can''t even look at my right hand side blind spot when I''m driving because of the excrutiating pain. Please help.

You can use Gaviscon Advanced, 20 ml three times daily before meals, to treat the symptoms of heartburn. Consult a physiotherapist for ultrasound treatment of the affected area. You can once again use anti-inflammatory medication to alleviate the pain. If your symptoms persist, consult your doctor for an examination.