Question
Posted by: burning head | 2008-11-04

Burning head

Im having an intense burning on the right hand side of my forehead which runs(sometimes) to the temple of my head. When it gets to the temple it shoots up(almost like something is forcing itself through my veins.This causes blurred speech and last only seconds but the pain remains for long afterwards. I also get migraines at least twice a month. Im starting to fear that something might be wrong with my veins. Is there reason for concern. Im also very short tempered and noise drives me crazy.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Burning Head,

The symptoms you have described can be associated with arteriel pain, but there may also be other causes. Whatever is causing it though, can be treated in most patients.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.