Question
Posted by: Jess | 2010/10/10

Burning calories vs burning fat?

Hi doc, at which point during exercise do you stop burning calories and start burning fat? How DO you burn fat and not calories?

Hi Jess

Well, burning fat means burning calories, so it's actually self-defeating to try to separate them. It doesn't matter much whether you're burning those calories from fat or other sources, like carbs, the important thing is that you're burning them. So for example, 40 minutes of exercise might burn 600 Calories, of which 300 are from fat and 300 from Carbs. That's all that really counts, because your diet then replaces the calories, and if that doesn't complement the training, then you could just as well burn 600 calories from fat and you still wouldn't lose weight.

It's a very complex situation, and I hate to give you an essay to read, but I wrote a piece on this once before, on my own site, and I think it would clear up some of the confusion:

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2010/01/exercise-and-weight-loss-part-3-fat.html

Ross

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/10/18

Hi Jess

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: PVS | 2010/10/12

Callories are enery. You dont really burn callories but you start of in a anarobic phase where you use glucose to produce energy then moves on etc etc, After about 30 min of continues exercise you will start utilising fat for energy.

In other words only after about 30 min depends also on your workout ofcourse

Reply to PVS