Question
Posted by: P | 2011/04/05

burning breasts after nursing

My baby is 9 weeks old and I am still breastfeeding him, even after 2 sets of antibiotics to treat some mastitis. The 1 breast is burning like hell, when he latches as well as afterwards, so much sometimes that I cannot wear anything against the breast. The nipples are not cracked or broken, although there is a red (bloody?) ''spot'' that looks like a small blister, on the tip of the nipple . Sometimes the burped up milk have a pinkish colour, presuming it''s some blood. Please help..... what can be wrong?

You should see your doctor to check if you still have some infection/ I cannot tell without an examination.

2

Posted by: Purple | 2011/04/05

Its best you go and see your doctor.

Sometimes mastitis can lead to an abscess - which might or might not be painful. This can lead to there being puss or blood in your milk (but you must still continue feeding otherwise the problem will worsen) - if you just find the thought too gross, you can express to ease the build up of milks blocking ducts and worsening the problem.

Some women do get a blister on their nipple from feeding, use lansinoh or bepanthen to help with that. Also even though your nipples aren''t cracked, it does sound like you might have a latching problem and that is perhaps why your breasts are not emptying properly and you are getting mastitis and you have the blister. Try to find an international board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) to help you with latching or advise what hte problem might be.
The burning feeling when baby latches on also indicates a latching problem - as you really shouldn''t feel anything at all (or at worst mild discomfort)if baby is correctly latched and if there is any pain at all then it is a sign of a problem.

The burning afterwards might be thrush - particularly if there is also a deep, stabbing pain in your breast after you finish a feed. Thrush is very likely after antibiotics. Check if baby has white patches in her mouth which can''t be removed by rubbing (if they can be, they''re just milk). The blister on your breast might also be trhush and nothing to do with latching. Its best your GP has a look.
If it is thrush, both you and baby need to be treated. Use milton to sterilise any dummies, breast pump parts or bottle teats you have used as this kills thrush. Better yeat, throw away any teats and dummies you might have used and get new ones.

I hope you manage to sort this out, you are doing so well with your breastfeeding and its so difficult to want to continue when you have problems like this to contend with.

Reply to Purple