Posted by: Sue | 2009-02-19

Burned eye

Hi doc,

Last night whilst in the bath, I got some aromatherapy liquid bath creme (undiluted) in my eye. it was incredibly painful, and I couldnt open my eye for about 10 minutes to efficiently wash out the soap. Eventually I managed to, but my eye was very very painful. A white clear jelly like substance came out of my eye - which I think might have been the protective covering we have over our eyeball?? Anyway, today my eye is not painful, but feels very fragile and burned. The eye appears to be deeper in the socket than my left eye. i dont know what to put in it (if anything)?
Will this heal on its own, or do I need to see an eye specialist?

many thanks

Dear Sue
Please see your GP as soon as possible - you probably burnt your cornea, he will be able to examine the eye to see if there are any ulcers and how bad it is, and whether you need to see a specialist. If you have eye ointment in the house ( Chloromycetin) put this in the eye, put a gauze padding over the eye and keep it closed. If you don't have an eye patch, sellotape works well to keep the gauze in place!