Question
Posted by: Suzie | 2010/09/20

Burn wounds scarring

Hi doc!
A really good friend of mine was burnt by hot oil a few months ago. He sustained injuries on both his arms, his one hand and chest. The skin has grown back but his hand is still very red. Will this redness go away and eventually return to skin color? What should we do to speed up the process if possible? Also, the skin on his hand is very lumpy and raised, this is obviously the scarring but could this be fixed through plastic surgery? He is very self-conscious about it and wears a glove all the time. It really saddens me to see him like this.
Kind Regards,
Suzie

Hallo Suzie
The redness gets better with time but the lumpy skin could be due to scarring which may need specialist treatment. I suggest that he sees a plastic surgeon as soon as possible. They can also give him pressure gloves which will improve the texture of the skin

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/09/21

Hallo Suzie