Question
Posted by: Lorraine | 2010-05-19

Burn wound

I was burned by a pipe exploding and pouring petrol onto my leg.
After the burn I put a cold wet face cloth over and felt some relief even though it did not look serious. After 2 hours a smallish blister appeared and I went to my GP. He applied Burnshield and asked me to return the next day.
To our horror the blister was now about 15cm across and 6cm high. We continued the Burnshield and 5 days later the liquid in the blister was discolouring and it was decided to burst it and remove the skin. The worst part of the burn was about 5cm by 5cm and the rest was just very sensitive.
I have now been treated with various medications,antibiotics and a pressure bandage but this area will not heal. Iodine, Promgran,Actiform Cool have all been used but it still does not respond. There was also a layer of slough which was causing a problem.
At certain times the Allevyn dressing causes a reaction and my skin itches and becomes inflamed.
A plastic surgeon has also been consulted and he says a graft cannot be done as there is nothing for the skin to grow on to. Sometimes when the wound is cleaned there is a bit of bleeding.
I am at my wits end and I have been tested for diabetes,as well as my circulation and my pulses are strong.
This burn is on the lower front of my leg and I am not concerned about the scar I just want this to heal so that I can go without the dressing and have to wear a special cover over my leg when I shower.
This has been over 2 months now do you have any suggestions please.

Hallo Lorraine
if the area makes pinkish cobblestone type tissue which bleeds easily - this is called granulation tissue and is part of the healing process. If you clean too vigorously or use strong antiseptics you may actually be damaging this very important new tissue. The best would be to find a wound clinic in your area to go to as these sisters usually know how to clean the wound without hurting the delicate new growth of tissue. Where do you live?

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-05-20

Hallo Lorraine

Reply to cyberdoc