Question
Posted by: Belinda | 2008/08/20

Burn wound

Hi doc

Last night, I burned my hand 3 times on the same place with boiling water. (I was filling the hot pot and it spilled) How I managed to do it 3 times is beyone me. The burn is approx 7cm in diameter and on top of my hand (reverse on my palm). When it happened, I ran cold tap water over it and then rubbed some ointment called Xtrax on it. It was very painful and I took a Myprodol for pain. Today the burn is very red (like sunburn) with a smaller patch that is a blackish colour. I dont have any more pain although it is still sensitive to touch. There is no blistering.

Will this heal by itself and will it leave a scar ?

Belinda

Hi Belinda
It is often deeper than you think - I am a bit worried about the blackish area you are describing? You can buy Burnshield at the pharmacist to put on but if the skin breaks or gets infected see a doctor sooner rather than later. Must be very painful!