Posted by: Michel | 2012-02-01

I think I''m experiencing long term burn-out. I been throught some very difficult times in the last 10 years - some of it my poor choices and some of it was me catching several other peoples poor choices and for an extended time - I just seem to have run out of steam. I''m not very depressed i don''t think - i have vision and dreams for my life and I look after myself etc. The fire inside has just gone out and the physical energy is just as bad - I seemed to accomplish very little in the day and I used to get a tremendous amount done. I''ve tried taking a holiday and did rest but I felt more stressed actually, I don''t feel physically ill or anything like that. I''ve got good friends but I don''t think anyone takes me too seriously when I tell them how I feel - I''m strong for the most part and can discuss difficult things quite calmly, I look fine and I''m their go to person so I think they just assume it''s a passing phase but it gone on too long for that and getting worse - any ideas?

Expert ImageExecutive coach

Hi Michel, thank you for your question.

It is not necessarily what you went through but how you responded. The fact that you are still their go-to-person, would indicate that people still recognise an energy inside of you. The flipside is that people would instinctively like to have the answers but don't, so it could be that they feel powerless when you are reaching out for help. - Purely physical ailments are easier to address.

Although you are flirting with burnout, you are probably, rather suffering from long term stress. Have you considered a complete change, or if not, a small change where every day you claim back a bit of yourself, for yourself? A holiday would not solve long term stress, just top your battery up a little. Perhaps simple things like a regular quiet time, or walking up the steps at work, taking lunch during your lunch break, and telling your friends that you are not available as the lean-on-me person during conversations would help you to regain that missing energy.