Posted by: in pain | 2009-09-22

hi doc,

on saturday i was making my sons milk i have a airport flask i just filled it with boiling water form the kettle i closed the lid immediatly after not thinking anything would happen. unfortunely the flask exploded and i have a nasty burn on my hand i immediately applied an ice cube then after tooth paste a few minutes later i applied betadine. the area looks horrible i have boils and my skin is getting dry and dark in colour im currently applying burn shield as it is still burning. wat can i use? im worried its going to leave a scar ? should i see a doctor maybe

thank you

Dear In Pain
YES see a doctor , it sounds like a second or third degree burn and you may need specialized treatment. In future, you did the right thing by applying cold ( cold water works better) but never ever put things like toothpaste, butter or any other funny stuff on a burn. An antibiotic cream/burnshield/Silver Sulfadiazine Burn Ointment is the best to use. Do not break any blisters as it leaves a raw area for bacteria to infect.