Posted by: Concerned mother | 2012-03-27

Burdened teenage boy

Good day

My son is nearing 18. He ceased growing at the age of 13, and is fairly short, as is his father and myself. I was wondering if there are perhaps any chances of him growing taller? It does affect him quite a bit, as he feels less confident around his peers. Also, his voice broke very early on, but not completely, so sometimes it is thick, and other times it is high pitch, almost feminine sounding. Is there anyway that this can be fixed? So that it stays thick or low sounding - permanently?
I am extremely worried about him as I know that he gets picked on because of this, and I fear that he might do something rash or impulsive

Any help will surely be appreciated.
Many thanks

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi there,

In the first instance an appointment with your GP would be useful. There are some treatments available for stunted growth but it depends on the individual specifics of the case.

It is also important that his own self-image and his confidence is looked into to ensure that these issues are not causing him emotional problems and for this I would suggest him seeing a psychologist, as it is about him being comfortable and confident about who he is.