Posted by: Fiona | 2009-01-25

Buns &  Thighs

Hi Doc,

I am desperate to shed the excess weight on my butt and upper thighs. I am not fat, but I' ve got a lot of fat in those areas. I know I will probably have to burn the fat before I can tone.

How many minutes of cardio would you recommend a day? I would like to start slow- like with plain walking and then in about a month advance to running.

So how long would you recommend I walk for a day and should I do lunges, squats and that kind of exercise everyday after the walking or every second day, every third day...?

Hi Fiona

I'd say start out with 30 a day, but then have the plan to increase this. Ideally you need to aim for 45 minutes. I think it's also important, and therefore good to see that you're already thinking about adding some running to your training in a month. That will be important.

I'd recommend that you chekc out the Fitness page of this site and then click on Programmes and go for the 10km programme (in 12 weeks). That's a good programme, and it builds up the volume and intensity just in the way you're talking about doing.

So my advice is to go for that one.

As for the lunges and squats, every third day for now, then in about 2 to 3 weeks, every second day. but don't do them on rest days. Do them on the same day as an easy walk, so that you can still have a complete recovery day between training.

Posted by: Boyscout | 2009-01-28

Hi Fiona

Try 6 workouts a week. 3 days cardio and 3 days weights. Total body workout is best to burn fat combined with HIIT.

Reply to Boyscout