Question
Posted by: Anel | 2009/10/15

Bunions are a real pain

I have bunions on both my feet, not only are they painful at times, but they look terrible. I'  ve had them since I was about 8 years old. I wanted to go for surgery when I was younger, but was told by the doctor I had to wait until I was 18. I'  m 24 now and still haven'  t gone, firstly because it is apparently a very painful procedure and secondly I couldn'  t afford to take 6 weeks off work..

As a young woman, I can'  t wear pretty shoes, as they are too uncomfortable. I can'  t even wear flops, because it shows how ugly these bunions are! It is such a mission to find any shoes!

Now I'  m getting married in April '  10 and I'  m seriously considering the operation.

My questions are:
1. if I do go for the op, how long will it take for the scars to heal?
2. will I be able to wear short heels on my wedding day?
3. how long will I be out of action if I do both feet at once?

Hallo Anel
It will take about 6 weeks to heal - I suggest you go early - in January already or before the Dec holidays.
If you give yourself at least 2 months to heal you will be able to wear short heels.
You will be fully "out of action" for 2 weeks at least, after that you will be able to start walking with special shoes that you may need to wear for 6-8 weeks.
See also http://www.podiatrynetwork.com/document_disorders.cfm?id=201

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/10/15

Hallo Anel

Reply to cyberdoc